WELCOME TO DOWNTOWN LITTLE LEAGUE’S (DLL) REGISTRATION FOR THE UPCOMING SPRING 2020 SEASON
We are excited for the upcoming baseball (coed) and softball (girls only) seasons, which mark DLL’s 28th year of providing organized activities for children ranging in ages from 5-18 across lower Manhattan.
DLL registration is the first of many activities leading up to our Opening Day scheduled for April 4, 2020. Other activities include winter workouts for baseball and softball; player evaluations for children in our baseball program ages 8-12 and sportsmanship programs for coaches, players and parents. Details on our active winter schedule will be communicated in the coming weeks and posted on our DLL Homepage.
To help guide you through the registration process, please carefully consider the following:
- Baseball (coed) - a child MUST be 5 years old by 8/31/2020 to participate
- Softball (girls only) - a child MUST be 5 years old by 12/31/2019 to participate.
- If a child does not meet the minimum age requirements, you will NOT be able to complete registration
- If your child played in DLL's 2019 Spring season – You will not be required to resubmit proof of player residence and age.
- If you are registering player who did not play in our 2019 Spring season – Please make sure that your child meets the DLL eligibility requirements noted below and plan to submit proof of residence and age within 7 days of registration. A step-by-step process is provided toward the end of registration
- Will be at least 5 years old by 8/31/2020 for baseball
- Will be at least 5 years old by 12/31/2019 for softball
- Either lives OR attends school below Canal Street
- Age determination – the system uses Little League’s official Age Determination policy (summarized below) to place children in the appropriate age group/division. Little League does not consider grade in their Age Determination policy. Based on your child’s birthday, the system will automatically place them in the correct age group and you will not be able to override the placement
- Baseball age determination - child’s age as of August 31, 2020. For example, if your child is currently 7 and turns 8 on June 1, 2020, they are considered Age 8 for the 2020 season
- Softball age determination – child’s age as of 12/31/2019. For example, if your child is currently 8 and turns 9 on February 1, 2020, they are considered Age 8 for the 2020 season
- Projected practice and game schedule – to help you coordinate DLL with other Spring activities, we have posted a projected schedule for each division on our website. We expect that it will largely remain intact, but changes may be required based on final registration, field permits and other factors related to scheduling. We expect to communicate the final schedule late February/early March
- Player/Coach request – Many of our baseball and softball divisions use social rostering for purposes of team formation. This generally applies to the younger age groups and there will be a section in the registration that enables you to request pairing with a friend and/or a specific coach. We make every effort to support requests in the younger age group, but we cannot guarantee that all requests will/can be processed. For the older divisions, team formation is done through a formal draft process, which does not generally support social requests. If you are not prompted during registration to request a specific teammate or coach, then social rostering does not apply to your designated age group.
- Volunteer Managers and Assistant Coaches – DLL is fortunate to have an incredible group of volunteer managers and assistant coaches. During registration, you will be asked if you would like to act as a team manager or assistant coach. If you expect to pair-up with another parent, please coordinate so that one person signs up as team manager and the other as assistant coach. We have had situations where we thought we had enough team managers to cover a division only to find out that several people selected team manager rather than assistant coach because they planned to co-manage with another parent. Co- managers are absolutely permitted, however for registration purposes we ask that one person signs up as manager and the other as an assistant.
- Team Sponsors – many parents enjoy having their business sponsor a DLL team. You can sign up to sponsor one or more teams during registration. Please note that there is a fee to sponsoring a team and make sure to provide the sponsor name that you would like printed on the back of a team jersey.
- It is important to fully complete registration – your registration is not executed ( and a spot secured) until you complete all steps of the process and receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email shortly after completing registration, please log back into your account to determine what is pending. If there are any issues, please contact us at registerwithDLL@gmail.com.